Written Randomness

Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Who Knew...

So I thought it was high time that everyone close to me was given the chance to see into the mind of a Unit Secretary for the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit. I have seen more, learned more and gained more experience that I ever could have expected in only 9 months at this little unit. Here are just a few...
How do you tell a mother their child has a spongy brain and that they will have to live assisted their entire life.
How do you look a father in the eye and tell him it would be better for his life if you took him off life support.
How do you love a mother who is too young and has tried to kill her baby boy by using crack and then when she actually has him, she wants to keep him.
How does a mother let her baby know, when she is old enough, that she is the product of a rape?
How do you make the decision as to wether to keep feeding your baby or just let them pass because it would be easier just to let her go?
What do you say to the parents at the funeral for their 3 month old?
How do you keep yourself from strangling those parents who will have their child in our unit for no more than 10 days and put up such a fit, when others make our unit their home for months?
How do you keep yourself from getting completely emotionally involved?
Do I have the heart to be a nurse?
Can I look a mother in the eye and tell her that I'm sorry her child didn't make it?
Can I face the fact that just because my child is born well she may get in a car accident that could change her life completely?
Praise the Lord my heart can rest in knowing that this earthly home is NOT perfect. Babies don't make it, children fall in pools and lose most their brain, car accidents cause people to never function on their own again, surgeries go bad and take a life, mothers don't want their children, women get raped, Father's never show up to know their children, nurses show they care day in and day out no matter how hard it gets. I serve a God that will never fail and has promised me perfection for eternity. This place is not my home, I stand eternally grateful for the God of all creation that loves his sinful people and has saved us from the wretchedness that we are!! All praise be to Him as I begin my quest to be a nurse and serve those who are in need and let them know of a Savior that loves them.

2 Comments:

Blogger Leslie said...

First of all, what a spiritually maturing job you have gotten yourself into. Where else would anyone see the great works and grace of our God in so many situations? HE is so good to us. Even as he gives and takes away.
Secondly, your engagement shots are great! Your hair is so long and gorgeous! Yay for marriage! what is the date and place?

8:01 PM  
Blogger Brooklyn said...

Hey Les we are getting married on Aug 23rd. Can you please give me your address by the way!!! Just email it to me friend.

9:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home